Interact with our adorable squirrel monkeys while they pose for the cameras and jump on top of you!
Duration: 5 Hours
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Official guide
- Water and soft drinks (non-alcoholic)
- Visit the breathtaking artisan village of Altos de Chavón. Wander across immaculate tropical gardens and experience firsthand a bohemian way of life.
- Attend a priceless Taino art and archeology exhibit at the Regional Archeological Museum. Explore an awe-inspiring replica of a Roman amphitheater.
- Tour a cigar museum with a small factory. Purchase authentic handcrafted Dominican cigars at unheard of prices.
- Aboard a riverboat, feast your eyes on stunning landscape and architectural elements, as you embark on a journey across the imposing Chavón River.
- Have the opportunity to visit a local market and see how Dominicans buy their day to day groceries.
- Must sign Liability Waiver
Booking Early? Use promo code EARLY10 to receive a 10% discount when booking activities 10 days or more in advance!
Shopping Tour in the Dominican Republic
A vacation is not complete until you have your mandatory hunt for local treasures. Join us on our shopping tour and discover the wide variety of local arts and crafts the Dominican Republic has to offer. Visit the visit the world-famous Altos de Chavón. Have the opportunity to visit a local market and see how Dominicans buy their day-to-day groceries. Learn about the Dominican tobacco and see first-hand how cigars are made.
What To Expect
Professional tour guides and an experienced driver take you on memorable expedition in La Romana. Visit the famous artist village Altos de Chavón and then find great souvenirs with our Dominican coffee, rum, cocoa, and cigars at excellent prices. You also get amazing deals on beautiful items of interest made of Larimar and Amber.
Why Choose Runners Adventures?
A vacation is not complete until you have hunted for local treasures. In this tour, you discover the variety of crafts and products DR has to offer.
Awesome excursion, I can’t tell you how great my wife and I spent the day with our tour guide “Jose”.. J/k…I meant “Mimi.”
I would definitely recommend it!” –Tony M | Oct 15 2018 Read this review on Trip Advisor
- Extended Information
Professional tour guides on board, and an experienced driver at the wheel the makings of a memorable expedition in La Romana. Flawless panoramas entice visitors to examine an unrivalled Caribbean setting. The best way of learning about its people is by immersing oneself in a town’s beliefs and customs. Dangling over the edge of a hillside, an artisan village has come to a screeching halt before as it looks like it will topple over. An architectural marvel, an accurate replica of a sixteenth century Mediterranean village erected in a Caribbean island.
Bounded by the baroque Chavón River reposes Altos de Chavón. Unrivled views unveil broad terraces, peeking in the direction of country backdrops. Created by filmmaker Robert Coppa, narrow cobblestone alleyways coupled with a country décor make them all the more alluring. Craftsmanship elaborated in wrought iron and carved stones give it a look of antiquity. Stone-paved streets lead us on a voyage towards yesterday with its architecture and high quality of craftsmanship. Picturesque buildings finished in coral stone and terracotta, surrounded by quaint craft workshops, art galleries, gift shops and restaurants.
The Regional Archeological Museum is enriched with pre-Columbian artifacts illustrating an island’s past. An invaluable anthology of Taino relics; the Samuel Pión collection is comprised of 30,000 antique pieces unfolding before your eyes. A majestic geodesic dome embodies the Altos de Chavón amphitheater, the largest outdoor venue in the Dominican Republic. A colossal architectural gem, a realistic representation of a Roman-era coliseum.
An all-embracing dwelling, inductees of the most relevant musical genres once graced its 5,000-attendee auditorium. A riverboat ride along the famous Chavón River, where you´ll have an unforgettable trip enjoying fantastic scenery. Learn the proper way of rolling a cigar from the hands of master craftsmen. We will tour a cigar museum and small factory. Your senses will be seduced by the aged fragrance of tobacco. Visit a public local market and take the opportunity to stack-up with some traditional products. Flanked by St. Rose of Lima Church, it’s the ideal starting place to learn the modest beginnings of a town. Conveniently located near many of the popular attractions; a city waits to be discovered. As our tour comes to an end, we will visit a Caribbean mall. Wander freely down the corridors of Columbus Plaza.
- Pregnant women cannot take part in this tour.
- People with disability and/or mobility problems cannot take part in this tour.
- Direct bookings from cruise line passengers are not accepted. Please book our tours with your cruise line.