The best and most complete cultural excursion in Punta Cana. Discover the Dominican culture with the experts!
Duration: 6 Hours
- Buffet lunch
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Official guide
- Water and soft drinks (non-alcoholic)
- Visit Castillo de San Felipe, the oldest military fortification in the Americas
- Tour the Amber museum and admire its splendid neoclassical architecture and its collection of ancient fossils and pieces taken from the amber mines in the Northern Mountains.
- Ride the Puerto Plata Cable Car Located on the top of Mount Isabel, 2555 feet above sea. A botanical gardens and the iconic statue of Christ await for you on top of the mountain.
- Discover the secrets of the finest Dominican Rum at the Brugal Distillery, which produces about a million and a half liters of white and dark rum each year.
Booking Early? Use promo code EARLY10 to receive a 10% discount when booking activities 10 days or more in advance!
Discover Puerto Plata on a Guided Tour
This sightseeing city tour takes you from the popular oceanfront boulevard of Puerto Plata to the top of Mount Isabel, where you find the a botanical garden, the iconic statue of Christ, and the most stunning views of the Amber city.
What To Expect
In this historical and cultural tour, you discover Puerto Plata in profound ways.
Why Choose Runners Adventures?
POP City Tour offers you all the important and historical places in this quaint town.
Sara and I had an amazing time with Carlos as our tour guide! The view from top of the mountain after the cable car ride was certainly worth it. Lunch was delicious(better than the resort food). Rum and chocolate factory were very good. Overall was a great tour!” –Bob M | Oct 14 2018 Read this review on Trip Advisor
The city of Puerto Plata is lined by an oceanfront boulevard (Malecon) known for its open-air restaurants, shops, and nightlife. This is a scenic area to explore and enjoy Dominican culture. Right at the very end of the seafront you will see the massive stone walls of The Fortress of San Felipe, the oldest military fortification in the Americas. We will enter the fort and discovery a time of pirates, cannons, battles and conquistadors of long ago!
Next stop is to the real heart of Puerto Plata as we stroll around the famous Central park. This is surrounded by original Victorian gingerbread houses, museums and the picturesque Cathedral Iglesia San Felipe. In the center stands the stunning Victorian Bandstand. Just off Central park the wonderful Amber Musuem is located. Located on the second floor of a Victorian mansion, the Amber Museum is perhaps one of Puerto Plata’s best known tourist attractions and features collections of fossilized resin (Amber), some of which contain remarkably preserved specimens dating back thousands of years.
At The Brugal Rum Distillery you will be escorted inside the huge distillery which produces about a million and a half liters of white and dark rum each year. Of course, you can buy slightly discounted rum by the liter, and really nice souvenirs. We also make a stop at Puerto Plata’s answer to Willy Wonka as we visit the Del Oro chocolate factory! Smell, taste, eat and drink the wonderful hand crafted chocolate made from organic cocoa plants cultivated and grown right here on the north coast of the Dominican Republic!
We also visit the Cable Car (teleférico) located on the top of Mount Isabel (2555 feet or 855 meters above sea), the cable car offers you the most beautiful panoramic ocean views and surrounding areas of Puerto Plata. It is one of the most picturesque and impressive views that you will possibly see here during your stay. On top of the mountain you will find botanical gardens, a statue of Christ (similar to the one in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), in addition, of course, to the breathtaking views of Puerto Plata and the surrounding ocean.
- Pregnant women cannot take part in this tour.
- People with disability and/or mobility problems cannot take part in this tour.
- Direct bookings from cruise line passengers are not accepted. Please book our tours with your cruise line.